Friday, June 26, 2009

Out of Breath

I’ve gotten to a point where I can’t seem to get a decent breath. I already struggle with the air pollution in this city, as I’m convinced everyone here gets a percentage of the oxygen they actually need on a daily basis. Add that complication to this pregnancy…and you get a preggo who can’t breathe.

It’s hot…and I can’t breathe. I walk up the stairs…and I can’t breathe. I rush to jump in the car…and I’m out of breath. I sit and have a 5 minute conversation with anyone, even on skype…and I’m breathing like a marathon runner. It’s PATHETIC! I’m not even THAT pregnant yet. Sure, I’ve gained a few pounds…but c’mon! What’s it going to be like when I come back to Shanghai after being in Hawaii…and I’m super pregnant?! It’s actually more than a little worrisome.

On a particularly warm afternoon, I followed the kids into the car. My friend jumped in after me. I didn’t even realize I was breathing hard until she turned to me and said, “You can calm down now…we are on our way. You’re breathing fast and hard.” She was amused by it, but I was disturbed…to say the least. And, of course, she doesn’t know that I’m pregnant. So, to ME, I just sound very overweight and out of shape. Ugh…

I’m convinced it has something to do with how much LESS oxygen I get here because of the air pollution. And now that it’s getting warmer, the haze of dirty air seems to linger like a blanket over the city, sinking lower and lower as the humidity rises with each passing day.

It’ll be good to get out of here for awhile…

No comments:

Post a Comment